Cleveland Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers – Tittle & Perlmuter
It is unknown how many of our vulnerable elderly fall victim to neglect or abuse each year since such actions are easily hidden from view and underreported. In fact, according to the National Center for Elder Abuse (NCEA), 84 percent of abusive situations involving older adults go unreported or unrecognized. However, what is clear is that the frequency of nursing home and elder abuse and neglect will increase over the next several decades as the baby boomers age.
If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect, you should contact the knowledgeable nursing home abuse lawyers at Tittle & Perlmuter as soon as possible.
Contact us today for a free consultation with our experienced nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys.
Elder and Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Cases that Tittle & Perlmuter Handles
Nursing home and elder abuse cases can stem from care being received at a nursing home, a bed and board facility, an assisted living facility, a hospital, a long term acute care hospital, or some other type of medical care facility. The most common signs of nursing home or elder abuse are the following:
- A significant and unexplained weight loss – this is a sign of malnutrition or dehydration
- Unexplained bruises, cuts, burns, sprains or fractures, such as hip fractures or broken arms
- Bedsores, pressure sores or frozen joints
- Venereal disease or genital infections
- Loss of resident’s possessions
- Unexplained withdrawals from bank accounts, or changes in banking practices
- Sudden changes in will or other financial documents
- Sudden changes in behavior.
These signs of nursing home abuse and neglect can be the result of any of the following:
- Neglect – the refusal or failure to provide the services, including therapy, medicines and care, an elder (or dependent adult), needs, as well as understaffing. This can come in the form of failure to provide adequate medical care or allowing the elder to become dehydrated or malnourished.
- Physical abuse, which in addition to slapping, hitting, punching, kicking, beating, burning, scratching and pinching, also may include force-feeding, inappropriate use of drugs or physical restraints, or withholding necessary care;
- Emotional abuse, such as causing distress or mental pain and anguish through verbal or nonverbal acts, such as humiliation, intimidation or threats.
- Sexual abuse – Sexual contact of any kind that is non-consensual. This includes unwanted touching, harassment, rape and other acts either unwanted or the elder is not able capable of giving consent;
- Exploitation – Illegally taking, concealing, or misusing funds or property belonging to a resident for the benefit of another.
Be aware that there are strict time limits you must meet to file a lawsuit. These time limits are complex and strictly enforced by the courts. It is in your best interest to speak to an experienced nursing home abuse and neglect attorney as soon as possible.
How Can Tittle & Perlmuter Help if a Loved One is a Victim of Nursing Home Neglect?
With offices in both Cuyahoga and Lorain counties, Tittle & Perlmuter is able to prosecute nursing home neglect cases all over Ohio. When Tittle & Perlmuter takes on a nursing home abuse case, a thorough investigation will take place, which, in part, will determine who may be held liable for their actions. For example, the following claims may be made in a nursing home neglect cases if warranted:
- nursing home malpractice or negligence, also known as medical negligence
- Negligent hiring
- Negligent training.
- Failure to monitor staff properly.
- Failure to provide necessities, such as food and water.
- Failure to protect residents from health and safety hazards.
- Use of dangerous or unreasonable physical restraints.
- Intentional abuse of residents by staff members.
Because of the complexity of these types of cases, it is important to hire an experienced nursing home abuse law firm – Tittle & Perlmuter is just that.
Call Tittle & Perlmuter Today for a Free Consultation
If a loved one has been victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, Tittle & Perlmuter can pursue a claim to help them receive the compensation they need and deserve. Consulations are always free, so call 216-308-1522 today or reach out online.