Should I Hire a Lawyer to Sue My Employer?

One of the most common questions we get asked is, “Can I sue my employer if I’m not being paid properly?”

Wage and Hour issues can be extremely complicated.

There are two ways for someone to take action if they think their employer is in the wrong:

  1. Hire a Lawyer
  2. Department of Labor – Wage and Hour Division

Advice from Wage & Hour Expert Scott Perlmuter

Transcription: Hey everybody, Attorney Scott Perlmuter here today to answer some of your common wage and hour questions and one of the most common questions we get is, “Can I sue my employer if I’m not being paid properly?” or, “Do I need a lawyer to help me if I’m not being paid overtime pay?” So, basically, wage and hour issues can be very complicated, there are two ways to go about pursuing them. One would be, you hire an attorney. An attorney can pursue your claim in either federal or state court, depending on what the case is about exactly. Or, you can go to the Department of Labor and the Department of Labor has a wage and hour division that will address some common wage and hour issues. The nice thing about hiring an attorney in these cases is that the laws that give rise to most unpaid wage claims have a provision in them that you can recover your attorney fees separate from what goes to you. So, if you have any questions about, “What’s going on with my pay? Is it proper? Do I have a cause of action, a claim that I can pursue against my employer related to the way that I’m being paid?” The best thing you can do is to give me a call, (216)-308-1522 is the phone number here at Tittle & Perlmuter, or, you can go to one of our websites. We have a website that’s JUST devoted to wage and hour issues and probably has the answer to your question, which is, or you can go to our main website which is, also has a lot of information about wage and hour issues. So if you have any questions, just reach out to me, Scott Perlmuter. Thank you very much!

Contact Cleveland Wage and Hour Lawyer

If you believe you are being paid improperly by your employer, contact an expert Wage and Hour Attorney right away. Wage and Hour lawsuits can be difficult and complicated, don’t go through it alone. For more information on wage and hour issues, visit or call 216-285-9991. If you would like to set up a free consultation, fill out a contact form online.

  • I was in a car accident. The insurance company only offered $2,500 to settle my car case. Attorney Allen Tittle took the matter to trial, and after four days, obtained a jury verdict of $75,000 which is 30 times more than what I was offered. He fights for his clients and obtains justice. I would highly recommend him.
  • Allen was professional, conscientious and well organized. Allen's research of my case produced results in which he was able to obtain a copy of a video from the grocery store and subpoenaed a witness that substantiated my claim and proved that I was in fact struck by the vehicle and injured, which he presented in the deposition. This resulted in a successful settlement in my favor
  • What I liked best about Tittle & Perlmuter was the prompt return of phone calls, always knowing when paperwork had been sent, and knowing I could call anytime and get my questions answered.