In this case, our client developed Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS) after exposure to algaecide that contained inadequate product warnings.
Our client, a Florida resident, came home to Ohio to visit his dad. While on his visit, he wanted to help his dad clear out some algae in his pond, so he went to a local store. While at the store, he picked up a sample of an algaecide – the algaecide did not have any instructions included or even a product label.
Once at his father’s house, he applied the algaecide using his bare hands and without any personal protective equipment. Unbeknownst to our client, the product requires the algaecide to be applied only while wearing some type of protection, such as a dust respirator and gloves.
Shortly after use, our client developed blistering of his hands, arms, and face, along with facial swelling. Over the next few days, his symptoms progressed and he developed extreme shortness of breath, leading to a twelve days hospitalization. While in the hospital, our client was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS) – a permanent lung condition that would forever alter our client’s life.
The Cleveland product liability lawyers at Tittle & Perlmuter filed the lawsuit and after a lengthy litigation, the defendants agreed to mediate the case where a settlement in the mid six-figures was eventually reached.