Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Cleveland
If you have lost someone you love because of the negligence or wrongdoing of another, you already know that no settlement or award could possibly undo your loss. All you can do is to take steps to ensure that the same act of negligence does not happen to another – a wrongful death lawsuit can help do just that. At Tittle & Perlmuter, we have the experience and knowledge in prosecuting wrongful death claims. We’ll work hard for you and your family to get the justice you deserve.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim
Wrongful death occurs when a person or entity’s negligence, recklessness, or deliberate behavior causes a fatality. Negligence is failing to act how a reasonably, prudent person would under similar circumstances. To establish a wrongful death claim, an attorney must prove that an individual owed a duty of care to the deceased, that duty was breached, and the breach was the proximate cause of the decedent’s death.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Some of the most common causes of wrongful death include the following:
- Medical malpractice
- car accidents
- birth injuries
- semi-truck accidents
- pedestrian accidents
- motorcycle accidents
- bicycle accidents
- a defective product
- a defective medical device
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dog bites
- Boating accidents
If you are grieving for a loved one whose death was caused by another person or the actions of a company in any of the above scenarios, you may have a wrongful death suit. However, there are strict time limits you must meet to file a lawsuit. These time limits are complex and strictly enforced by the courts. In Ohio, the time frame for filing a wrongful death lawsuit is two years, although there are exceptions relating to a minor’s right to file. It is in your best interest to speak to Tittle & Perlmuter’s Cleveland wrongful death lawyers as soon as possible – only then can we start to gather evidence to assist in the prosecution of your claim.
How Can the Firm of Tittle & Perlmuter Help Grieving Families in Wrongful Death Claims?
Some people say attorneys should not become emotionally involved in their cases – at Tittle & Perlmuter, we believe in the opposite. We think it is crucial to try to walk in your shoes and truly understand a loved one’s death from your perspective.
While the whole family is affected by the death of a loved one, in Ohio, only the personal representative for the Estate, can bring the claim. This person is appointment by the Probate Courst. However, the personal representative can bring the wrongful death claim for all of the next of kin of the deceased, which may include the spouse, children, parents, siblings, or other next of kin.
At Tittle & Perlmuter, one of our primary goals in a wrongful death suit is to obtain answers about the wrongful death, reach a sense of resolution, and recover the funds the decedent’s next of kin needs to move on with their live. To do that, our wrongful death attorneys can help this process by doing the following:
- Investigation: We will carry out a thorough investigation, which will include compiling and reviewing evidence about the cause of your loved one’s death and making a determination if a person should be held legally accountable.
- Insurance Review: The amount which can be recovered in a wrongful death claim typically depends on the amount of available insurance coverage. We can review the professional malpractice, homeowner, driver liability, uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage and all other insurance policies involved in your case.
- Negotiation: Tittle & Perlmuter’s wrongful death attorneys will negotiate directly with the insurance adjuster or defense counsel in order to settle this claim short of trial.
- Litigation: if needed, our legal team will be ready to litigate your case, and tell your story to a jury.
- Resolution: Once a recovery is made, that recovery must be approved by the Probate Court. We will make sure that the compensation in your case is efficiently distributed to the proper parties, and ensure that all liens are satisfied.
At Tittle & Perlmuter, our wrongful death attorneys understand the hardships a family faces after a wrongful death and is dedicated to seeking fair compensation for these individuals.
Call Tittle & Perlmuter Today for a Free Consultation
Losing a loved one is a difficult time in anyone’s life. We want to help you through this difficult time. We offer free consulations, and we will advise you of the best course of action. Call 216-308-1522 now to speak with one of our experienced Cleveland wrongful death lawyers.